Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Sugar Cookie Squares



1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 egg white
1 Tbsp sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip together butter and sugar until pale and fluffy
about 3-4 minutes. Stir in egg and egg white. Add sour cream and vanilla and mix until
well blended.
2. Gradually add flour, baking powder and salt and stir until well combined. With buttered 
hands, gently press mixture into greased 9x13 baking dish.
3. Bake at 375F for 16 – 19 minutes until toothpick inserted into the center comes out
clean and edges are lightly golden. Cool completely, then frost and cut into squares.
Makes 24 squares.


Vanilla Frosting
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
2-3 Tbsp half and half
1 tsp vanilla
Pinch of salt
Several drops food coloring (optional)

In a mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, whip together butter and powdered sugar
and half and half until fluffy. Stir in vanilla and salt. Add in food optional food coloring
and mix until well blended.



  Yum!! Sugar cookies have always been really hard for me to make. I always roll them out too thin so they come out crispy instead of soft. And I always use a ton of flour when rolling them out so they lose they're sweet flavor. Ugh. Hooray for sugar cookie squares!! No rolling required. And they were soft and chewy. I will be making these often!


The frosting was a bit sweet for me so I would use  maybe 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar next time. I also didn't have any half and half so I just used milk. Brandon and Katy were my helpers. Brandon picked the color for the frosting.

No comments: