Monday, February 27, 2012

Chicken Noodle Gravy

Chicken Noodle Gravy
Boil 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts in just enough water to cover the chicken, until tender and cooked through. Remove chicken and strain broth to remove all those floaties. Return broth to the pan and bring back to a boil. You may want to add more water and some chicken bouillon (1 t. per cup of water) for more flavor. Cook some homemade egg noodles in the broth until tender (8-10 minutes). To thicken the broth, stir about 2 tablespoons of cornstarch diluted with a little bit of cold water into the boiling broth and noodles. Stir until thickened. Shred the cooked chicken and add to broth. Serve over mashed potatoes.



Mmm!! This was a favorite of mine that my mom used to make. When I asked her for the recipe she said there was no written down recipe so she just said "some" for the amount of ingredients. I did the best I could at getting the portions right. This recipe does require time and effort but it's totally worth it!

When I told Sean about this amazing meal that I grew up on I never realized how strange it may have seemed to eat noodles and mashed potatoes together until I saw the look on his face. It does seem a little strange but while we were eating Sean said, "This is such a weird combination but it works!" He seemed to like it and I was, of course, in heaven reminiscing about my childhood and my mom :)

Oh, also, for the cornstarch mixture I ended up adding it like 3 times which made it a total of 6 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with enough water to make it the consistency of milk.

No comments: