Friday, September 5, 2014

Black Bean Brownies

Black Bean Brownies

  • 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, divided
  • 3 tablespoons canola oil
  • 3 eggs
  • 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup baking cocoa
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt

  • Place the beans, 1/4 cup chocolate chips and oil in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Add the eggs, brown sugar, cocoa, vanilla, baking powder and salt; cover and process until smooth.
  • Transfer to a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out
  • clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 1 dozen.
  • Nutritional Facts: 1 brownie equals 167 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 131 mg sodium,

I never thought I would ever make anything like this. It sounds so gross. But, honestly, I couldn't taste the beans at all! They tasted like brownies. The texture did throw me off a little bit and they did taste a little bitter to me and Sean. I've heard people suggest using milk chocolate chips to help the sweetness and I think I would do that next time. And maybe use part brown sugar and part white sugar. The kids LOVED these though. And that's what's most important. Trying to get more fiber into them. Yay!

Read more: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/black-bean-brownies#ixzz3CUejLdS1

No comments: